Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fashion Week Countdown: 25 days

If there's one thing that can cheer me up, it's Fashion Week. I had some down time at work today, so I spent it going through New York Magazine's Pre-Fall 2009 Fashion Week section where they have a sneak peak at what the designers are going to show February 13-20.

From what I can see so far, next fall will be full of the usual muted colors: black, gray, etc., with little pops of color. Black tights with mile-high stiletto ankle boots are on everyone's models. The majority of the pants I saw for women were wide-leg black suit pants, and there's every version of the little black dress imaginable. 

One thing that surprised me was that everyone's collection was surprisingly wearable, except for maybe Chanel's, who's inspiration looked like a combination of the far East and Soviet Russia. My new favorite every-day wear designer is Alberta Ferretti and my favorite evening wear is a three-way tie between Monique Lhuillier, Naeem Khan and Reem Acra.

I can't wait! I hope I get to go to some shows. I know the associate editor, Crystal, usually covers the runway shows, but maybe I can sneak invitations to a couple. I'm sure I'll at least get to experience the inside of the tents again. Three and a half weeks! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the economic downturn has made the fashion industry start focusing on wearable high fashion. Even the rich and famous want to tone down luxuries so as not to offend the masses.

We're going to see a return back to classic, subtle fashion even more than we've been seeing in the last few years.

Sherry Mims said...

I agree that the kind of blah news that's been going around lately probably has to do with the muted colors. However, I'm really glad leggings are still going to be in. I just got a pair, so I need to learn how to pair it now :-)