Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 6: Making things happen

3:30: So I got back a little while ago from my lunch with Michelle Lee, editor at In Touch Weekly and former USF grad. She had so many great tips for me on how to get my foot in the door and was so encouraging.

Basically she told me that the best way to get started was to start freelancing now. She also said to start e-mailing editors around December to set up interviews for when I come back in February and move in March. She said to let her know when I start doing that and she would forward my resume for me, which is awesome.

One thing that I found really encouraging was when she said that I would only need one internship at the most, and that I might be able to go straight into a paying editorial assistant position becuase of the experience I already have. At this point I think I'm on a great path. Between Michelle and my ambition I don't really think I'll have a problem.

I'm back at the Daily now. At this point I'm just going to use my down time and start brainstorming freelance articles. Every time I ask if people need anything, I feel like I'm bothering them more than helping, so I'm going to sit at my desk until they tell me they need me. I understand that everyone is busy and I know I get like that when I'm busy too, so I get it. I'm here if they need me, if not, that's fine.

I'm going to the Mara Hoffman show tomorrow at 8 at Bryant Park and then to the VNY anniversary party afterward. Stephanie from the Times is going to Fed-Ex me an invite to the Baby Phat show on Friday so that's super exciting too. I still haven't heard back from the Christian Siriano show on Thursday that I really want to go to, so I'll give them a call tonight. I'm also super excited for Friday because my friends Mike and Tom are coming into the city for the Yankees game, so we're all gonna party it up that night.

I can't believe I only have three days left!

No comments: