Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day 3: Getting acclimated

5:30: I'm finally almost back to normal. It was touch and go there for a while. I left the office around 3:30 because everyone was super busy and there wasn't really anything for me to do. Thank god for that because my hangover had begun to turn into a migraine.

It had been drizzling all day, but of course as soon as I leave it begins to pour. I bought an umbrella specifically for this trip, but of course didn't think to bring it with me. So there I was in my cashmere sweater and white Bebe dryclean-only pants in the pouring rain. I took off my sweater in an attempt to save it, so that means I had a white cami on that was soaking wet. Yeah, I got a couple shouts. Whatever, it's New York, people have seen more than a wet tank top.

Lesson learned: it is impossible to catch a cab in the rain. Impossible. Considering how horrible I was feeling and the fact that it was raining, I would've gladly paid for a cab ride home instead of taking the subway. But after spending way too much time trying to catch a cab, I walked to the subway anyway. By the time I got there, I was literally dripping. I'm trying not to think about what kind of infection my blisters might get from stepping in those puddles.

Only certain trains run on the weekend, so the ones that do are always packed. I now have a new version of what Hell would be like: damp, smelly New Yorkers packed in body to body on the subway and me soaking wet with a migraine. Horrible.

So as soon as I got back to Gordon's I took a shower and then took some Motrin and laid down. Thankfully the Motrin is working. Chris and I are gonna find somewhere to watch the USF vs. UCF game tonight, which I'm excited about. No drinking tonight though.

1:30: I'm at the Daily offices right now. So far today I've written a few blog posts for the "Chic Report" on the Web site and updated a few more events on the calendar. There isn't a whole lot for me to do right now, but it's cool because there's a lot of activity in the office that I get to observe.

They're about to send off today's issue, so everyone is checking over flats and making corrections. The magazine itself is really cool, I'll bring home some copies. It's bigger than most magazines but fewer pages because it's a daily. The art really pops and there's a lot of the "torn pages" look to it, where the graphics look like torn pages on top of the other pages. It's really fun looking.

The more I think about it, the more the idea of working for a daily magazine would be perfect for me. I've been working at daily newspapers for over four years and I've often thought about how it would be so different to not have a daily deadline. Most magazines are planned months in advance, but this one is put together every day. Brilliant!

I'm a little tired today. Ok, a lot tired. Gordon and I went out to this cool bar in the Village with a couple of his friends and we stayed longer than we should have ... and drank more than we should have. It was more than a struggle getting out of bed this morning, but I'm feeling better now after some food and activity. I feel bad for Gordon, he had grad school this morning at 8:30. Ouch.

I'm thinking I'm gonna try to meet up with Chris or Marissa tonight. We'll see what happens. I need some sleep first.

No comments: