Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 2: No more trial run

7:30 p.m.: Whew! What a day! Ok, let's start from the beginning:

Thank god I left an extra 45 minutes on my commute this morning. I got on and off the right trains, but on my transfer I made the mistake of going across the station to the wrong stop. Thankfully I realized it was the wrong stop before I got on, but then I had to go all the way back. Then, when I got off I turned left instead of right ... and walked about seven city blocks before I realized I was going the wrong way. I'm wearing heels, remember? Well, about four blocks into me walking back I decided to catch a cab because I was pouring sweat and my feet were already about to fall off. It was only a $5 ride and I had a little time to try to redeem my looks before going into IMG.

I met Abby at 10 a.m. Everyone is super nice. It looks like I'll basically be tying up loose ends for everyone at the magazine, i.e. updating the fashion calendar for the Web site and organizing lists like I did with the other intern, Ashley, today. But one of the first things Abby said to me was that I would be able to go to a FEW (that's the word she used) shows! Yay! Not just one (hopefully)! I was also told that I would write a few blurbs for the chic report for the site, where they basically give their two cents on a product. So yay I get to write too!

Even when I was updating the calendar and organizing the list, it was really fun because it was information that I cared about. Now I know everything that's going on this week -- every party, every show, everything! And I organized a list of famous people in fashion by their height for a story. In a world where height equals beauty, these people are short! Mary-Kate Olsen and last season's fierce Project Runway winner Christian Siriano tie for the shortest at 5'1. Carolina Herrara is only 5'2, Max Azria is only 5'3, Ralph Lauren is only 5'4 and Valentino is only 5'5. Did you know that? Well now you do.

The journey home was interesting. There was a four-man mariachi band on my first train. They were actually pretty good, but there were too many people in between us for me to get a good picture or video. But on the way to my transfer I saw this:



While I was waiting for my second train, a Jamaican man told me it was a pleasure to look at me and asked if he could call me. He was disappointed when I told him that I didn't live there and thankfully his train came before it could get any creepier. Then there was this awesome sign on the train:



I peeled off my boots as soon as I got home and found what I had feared: two nickel-sized blisters, one on each of my big toes. Thankfully, the dress code at the Daily is much more lax than I knew, so I'll be wearing flats tomorrow, and probably for the rest of the week. No famous people sightings yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that I get to go to a show tomorrow and I'm sure there will be plenty there. Now I'm off to shower and eat and hopefully I'll go somewhere fun tonight. =)

8:30 a.m.: I'm about to run out the door to my first day of work at the Daily (the magazine for IMG). I tell ya, it wasn't easy picking out an outfit, and I'm still not sold on what I'm wearing.

I initially thought I'd be sort of fashion forward and wear black slacks with a grey pinstripe vest over a white button-down shirt. Well, I looked like a marshmellow, so that was out. So I went to what I'm comfortable with: black slacks with a plum half-armed sweater over a white cami. I know, not groundbreaking, but at least it's not ugly. I'm also wearing my black boots because my damn slacks are still too long. Don't worry, I put Dr. Sholl's inserts in them and am armed with band-aids and flip flops in my purse. We'll see.

Anyway, I gotta run. I still have no idea what I'll be doing today or how long I'll be there, but either way it should be fun! No hopefully I get on the right train ...

No comments: