Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Campus fashion

So I was walking around campus today and I was especially aware of what everyone was wearing around me. And to my surprise, most people looked pretty good.

Usually college students are known for wearing the university uniform: jeans, flip flops, tank top, hoodie. And while this was still very true, a couple students stood out.

One girl was wearing metallic strappy sandals with a navy blue pleated skirt, white tank top, and a really beautiful silk poncho that had white and navy diagonal stripes. I almost wanted to stop her and ask where she got it, but she looked like she was in a hurry.

Another guy had a pretty standard outfit on: black shirt and jeans. But what made him stand out was that his clothes fit him perfectly and he had a really cool belt buckle and nice black shoes instead of flip flops.

One last observance that I'll talk about isn't really about the clothes this girl was wearing, but how she carried herself. I passed a girl who was wearing a standard turquoise polo with cropped jeans and flip flops; but what made her different was the fact that while she was listening to her iPod, she had a huge smile on her face. She walked with confidence and was so comfortable in her clothes that she shined to the people around her. Seeing her smile made me smile, and in that moment she was the most beautiful person I saw. This is what fashion is all about.

I wrote a similar article for the USF Oracle a few years ago about campus fashion, but with a much different take. Check it out: http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2005/10/03/Montage/Campus.Fashion.Crisis-1672587.shtml.

No comments: