Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Um ... what do I wear?

So I'm still incredibly excited about the awesome opportunity to intern with IMG during fashion week. But I'm now faced with a dilemma ... What the hell do I wear?

I've never been to a fashion show, let alone one in New York. I've always heard that you should wear the designer, but we all know I can't afford that. It's also well known that the New York uniform is all black, and I had heard that a lot of places require their interns to wear all black so they don't stand out.

So I asked my super-nice and super-well connected contact, In Touch Weekly editor and USF grad Michelle Lee, and she put some of my questions to rest. Here's what she suggested:

I had the same exact concerns when I moved up from FL! Not true that you should wear all black altho you can if you want. I'd say, don't dress like you're trying too hard--ie, don't come all Devil Wears Prada-y in Chanel or anything...ha ha. The Daily isn't like the Vogue offices where you have to look fashiony all the time. Also, as an intern, you should look like you're ready to do whatever they want you to do--whether that's running around town or getting up on a ladder to file something--so don't dress up TOO much--you'll want to give the impression that you're comfortable enough to do whatever they throw at you.

That being said, it is a job during fashion week so you should look stylish every day just in case they ask you to run to a show. Sorry, that was a little convoluted--did that help?


It did help. So here's my styling plan for myself. I need cute but comfortable new shoes that aren't open-toed. I also need to stock up on cute separates that I can mix and match. I think a store like Forever 21 would be best ... their clothes are super cheap and cute so I can get more for my buck. But I do want to invest in some nice dark straight wide leg trouser jeans and some cute knee-length flowy skirts.

Good news: I got a new day job today to help me save up some more, so hopefully I'll be able to go on a shopping trip before I go up.

Everything's coming together! =)

No comments: