Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Personal style

I've been thinking a lot about my personal style lately, mainly the fact that I don't really have one. I love and admire many different aspects of the style industry, but my own wardrobe is horribly dull. It basically looks like a college student: jeans, flip flops, Hollister tank tops ... you get the idea.

So I've decided it's time for a change. I think my problem in the past has been my fear of taking risks. I'm drawn to very classic, simple lines and styles, which is fine, but I think the key to making me stand out will be in the details. I've always loved big bold accessories — long bright necklaces, big earrings, big bags, high heels — I could almost be happy going out in public naked with a fabulous bag and stilettos. Of course I don't over-do it on the accessories. If I wear a bold necklace I'll wear very small earrings if any at all, and vice versa.

But there's one fun accessory item I haven't tapped into yet: the hat. Fedoras are huge this season in Carolina Herrara's line, and other designers are using them also. Especially in Florida, where the only hat to be seen is a baseball cap, a hat can really make a person stand out. I also want to start wearing more skirts and day dresses. I've always loved seeing girls wear them during the day with a pair of strappy sandals, but haven't done it myself.

Today I took the first major step in making myself more fashion forward: changing my hair. Like every other fashion-loving darling, I love the movie The Devil Wears Prada, and every time I watch it, I love the character Emily's hair. Bold bright red with her equally bold eye shadow makes a great statement. So I thought I'd jump in. I originally had hair more like the main character (I actually brought a picture of her in when I got it done before), long, brown, with a bold bang, so this would be quite a change.

However, I don't think the hairdresser was as sold on the idea. So, to protect me, she decided to put in a lot of low lights to break it up. She also didn't cut it as short as I wanted. So, while I have pretty red hair, I also have black streaks in the way, and the style got lost in the length.

I'm going back on Thursday to fix it, and my quest to define my personal style will continue. I thought the only person I would have to argue with about taking the plunge would be myself, but I now realize other people also might not be so willing to give up the old me.

Update: I totally love my fixed hair. It's shorter, with a bolder bang and it's redder. Here it is:

No comments: